Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cheesy Macaroni Pie

What was leftover? About six cups of “Mac and Tomat”.

I didn’t want to just heat it up and I really didn’t want to add meat to it, simply because once a week we go meatless.

To the bowl with the leftover “Mac and Tomat” I added:

1 tsp of dried oregano

1 minced garlic clove

2 Tbsp of Sundried Tomato Paste

Then in a medium sized sauce pan I melted 1/3 cup of unsalted butter, to which I whisked in 1/3 cup of flour, and a sprinkle each of salt and pepper, and cooked for one minute. I whisked into it 4 cups of milk and added a Bay Leaf. I simmered this white sauce mixture for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a medium bowl, I whisked 3 eggs and once the white sauce was complete, I slowly added it, whisking all the time. (Be sure to remove the Bay Leaf from the white sauce.)

I greased a 9” glass pie plate and then proceeded to layer the leftover “Mac and Tomat”, white sauce/egg mixture and grated marble cheese, ending with cheese.

I baked at 400⁰F for about 30 minutes, until the cheese was nice and bubbly.

So great! So good!

Note: I only used about 4 cups of the “Mac and Tomat” and only about 2 cups of the white sauce/egg mixture. I froze these leftovers to use in soups or other casserole type dishes at a later date.

Until next time ... eat your leftovers!

PS:  I forgot to take a picture.  It was so good, it was gone before I even thought of it!  :-)

I adapted this recipe from another recipe found at KraftCanada.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment