Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Dumplings

I have never tried to make dumplings before, because my memory of dumplings are of my mother's pasty bits of glue. 

The Simplest Dumpling
My husband, though always asks for dumplings.  So, I decided to try my hand at them.  You know what?  They're yummy!

I went with the simplest recipe I could find:

Dumplings
1 Cup      50/50 flour*
1 T          baking powder
1 t           white sugar
1/2 t        salt
1 T          margarine
1/2 C       milk

In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Cut margarine into this mixture until it is crumbly, then stir in milk to make a soft dough.

Drop by the teaspoonful into the simmering chowder (or stew, or soup, etc.) until the dumplings are barely touching (or you've run out of dough). 

Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes without lifting the lid of the pot.

Since my experiment into dumplings went well this first time, I'm going to now experiment with other delectable varieties!

* I mix our flour using equal parts whole wheat and non-bleached white to make what I call 50/50 flour.

Until next time ... eat your leftovers!

For more tips and tricks, please visit: http://www.moms-stay-at-home.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment